Friday, May 29, 2009

Designer's Choice Workshop with Debbie

"We just finished a sweet visit with my sister and her family. I loved having my niece around to get some baby girl pictures and knew that I wanted to use them in my final May Project. Rather than creating a mini album for my mom, I thought I would make a picture CD and slipcover; then she can have as much fun as she wants in Photoshop Elements with digiscrapping! This idea came from a book that Nicole Heady had recommended several months back B is for Baby by Suzonne Stirling, page 38-39. It was such a simple project that I'm sure I'll be making more of these in the future."

Jessica CD Picture Album by Guest Designer, Debbie Olson

English Garden by American Crafts
Preserves by American Crafts
Red Rover Pattern Paper by American Crafts
Butterfly Chipboard Album by Maya Road
Leaf Trinket Pins by Maya Road
Vintage Pearl Trinket Pins by Maya Road
Clear Rhinestones by Melissa Frances
Classic Butterfly Punch by Martha Stewart Crafts

Instructions:

1. Cut two sheets of patterned paper to 5.5" x 12", and score at 5.25" and 10.5". (If you are using a double-sided patterned cardstock weight, you may get by with only one sheet.) Tape or glue the layers together. I found it best to start in the center and work my way out to both ends, folding on the score lines as I went outward to keep from having a tight outer layer.
2. Cut inside pocket 4" x 5.5" and score at .25" on the short sides and bottom. Add a punched strip at the top if you wish. Carefully glue this pocket down, being sure that glue doesn't seep out from under the edges and keep your pocket from working. Add any embellishments that you want on flat part of the outside cover at this stage as well. ( I used two contrasting .25" x 12" patterned paper strips.)
3. I created a belly band to keep the album closed rather than using eyelets as directed. That way my ribbon can be tied nicely once and *stay* that way! All of my cover embellishments are layered on that belly band, a 2" x 12" piece of paper with the seam on the center from where it would be covered.
4. First, using one page of the chipboard butterly album, cover the chipboard with patterned paper. ( I sewed the three patterns together to be able to use a bit of all of them on my butterfly.) To add some contrast, sponge white craft paint on the edges of the covered butterly. After the white paint dries, sponge edges with a glue pad and add some clear glitter for sparkle. Next, mat and add photos and embellishments to butterlfy.
5. Wrap ribbon around belly band and tie in a bow. Using foam tape or dimensional glue dots, attach embellished butterfly on top of the ribbon and belly band. Run leaf and pearl trinket pins through the ribbon knot and add a tag if desired.
6. Burn your CD pictures to disk and create a personalized disk label. (If you are creating a music CD, you may want to include track titles on the inside left flap rather than journaling. The font I used for journaling was a freebie, Learning Curve from www.dafont.com)

A huge thanks to Cindy for having me as an Emma's Paperie Guest designer this month!

4 comments:

Diane said...

This is so cute.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful project!! :)

Yana Smakula said...

what a lovely project! thank for sharing!

kyopuce said...

it's so beautiful !